Vento Solare J/109 is home ported at the Naval Station Slip A49 in Newport, RI. This web site is for the crew, family and friends to promote the boat! We’ll load the season sailing schedule on this site. You’ll need to enter your email address and setup your password. This way, we can tell who to expect for each event. We’ll also post event results and a summary of each race, along with any photos, if they are available.
Feel free to post a message, browse the photography, or register to crew in a race. We hope to see you out on the water!
Bill & Cindy bought J/109 Vento Solare in September 2013 to replace J/30 Rhapsody. Vento Solare was delivered by Bill, Steve, Brooke & Turtle from Annapolis to Newport 10-12 Oct 2013. J/30 Rhapsody was sold and has been relocated to Oswego, NY on Lake Ontario.
J Boats J/109 Hull #266
Vento Solare is 2005 model year J/109 hull number 266 built by Pearson Composites in Warren, RI. It has the nice cherry interior with a great combination of cruising amenities and racing equipment. The original owner (Paul Milo) did a great job at outfitting and maintaining the boat which sailed in both Annapolis and Newport areas. Vento Solare also completed the 2011 Annapolis to Bermuda race and placed third in the IRC3 class. Vento Solare was purchased in September 2013 and delivered from Annapolis to Newport the first week of October. After three weeks, she was hauled for winter storage and a long list of projects for periodic maintence and to customize the boat for Bill & Cindy. The boat came with a North Sails rubberized canvass cover that allowed full access for projects throughout the winter. By mid April 2013, Vento Solare had most of the projects completed and was launched in showroom condition.
Vento Solare Equipment
Hull & Deck:
- Baltek Contourkore end grained balsa composite construction using biaxal and unidirectional glass with vinylester resin on the outer hull layer for 10 year warranty against hull blisters.
- Patented “SCRIMP” resin infusion system molding process for optimum laminate strength.
- Off-white deck with a high traction non-skid.
- White hull. Single tapered gel coat integrated double boot stripe.
- Foredeck and helmsman molded toe rails.
- Large bow locker with laminated watertight forward collision bulkhead.
- Large cockpit storage locker on starboard.
- Propane bottle storage.
- Molded stern platform with removable swimming ladder.
- Molded spray shield with dodger storage and companionway instrument pod.
- GRP molded structural bulkhead bonded to hull and deck.
- All intermediate bulkheads glassed to hull and deck for stiffness.
- Heavy-duty fiberglass floor stringer grid infused into hull, including mast and chain plate structure with Keel & Rudder.
- Low VCG Keel of cast lead with antimony bolted and bonded to deep molded stub with sump.
- Balanced high aspect spade rudder construction using biaxal and unidirectional glass and large diameter anodized aluminum stock mounted in self-aligning bearings.
- Aluminum wheel with natural leather grip on custom molded pedestal with compass, brake and stainless guard.
- Emergency tiller.
Spars & Rigging:
- Tapered aluminum mast with double airfoil spreader clear anodized.
- Continuous Rod rigging (Nitronic 50).
- Integral hydraulic backstay adjuster.
- Boom with internal outhaul 8:1 purchase system, mainsail reef line sheaves, main sheet and rigid vang tangs.
- Headsail furling system.
- Retractable carbon fiber bowsprit with seal.
- Solid boom vang with cascade purchase system.
- Self-tailing primary winches.
- Self-tailing halyard winches.
- lock-in winch handles.
- Mainsheet purchase with fine tune.
- Adjustable mainsheet traveler with 4:1 purchase led to a cleat on both sides.
- Adjustable genoa and jib tracks with 4:1 car controls led to cleats by coach roof.
- Cockpit foot blocks for genoa sheets.
- Spinnaker sheet blocks on U-bolts.
- Tack block on pad-eye at bowsprit end.
- 5 halyard/reef turning blocks.
- Halyards lead aft through 2 quadruple organizers and 4 rope clutches on each side of companionway.
- Tack line led aft to rope clutch on starboard side of coach roof.
- Bowsprit control line leading to a cam cleat on aft of coach roof bulkhead.
- 2 bow mooring cleats.
- 2 stern mooring cleats.
- Stem head fitting.
- Custom s/s stem plate with tack fitting.
- S/S chain plates for shrouds and backstay.
- Foredeck opening hatch (500 x 500) with vent.
- Opening hatch (450 x 320) over main saloon.
- 4 fixed ports (630 x 170) on saloon coach roof sides.
- 2 opening ports (304 x 155) for aft cabin and toilet compartment.
- 1 opening port (350 x 170) in cockpit (aft cabin).
- 1 vent above head area.
- 3 line bags.
- 2 s/s handrails on coach roof.
- S/S pushpit and pulpit .
- Double s/s lifelines, 8 stainless stanchions, 4 with reinforcing leg.
- Plexi-glass companionway washboards with lock.
- Door storage rack in cockpit locker.
- Flag staff holder.
- Yanmar 3YM30 inboard diesel engine, Balmar 110 AH alternator, with double diode and fresh water-cooling with heat exchanger.
- Yanmar 20SD sail drive
- 2 bladed Flexofold geared, folding propeller
- Engine panel recessed in the cockpit with plexi-glass protection including tachometer, hour meter and alarms for bilge, oil pressure, low voltage and water temperature.
- 23 gallon fuel tank under aft cabin berth.
- Sound insulated engine compartment, ventilation pipes to the transom.
- Three 105 amp hour AGM (Glass Mat) Group 31 batteries
J/109 Rig Dimensions
I: 46.50 ft
J: 13.3 ft
P: 43.25 ft
E: 15.5 ft
Mast Head Height Over Water: 53.5 ft (56.5 ft with instruments)
J/109 Hull, Sail and Equipment Dimensions
LOA: 35.25 ft
LWL: 30.5 ft
Beam: 11.5 ft
Draft: 7.0 ft
Displacement: 10,900 lbs
Engine: 30 hp
Fuel Capacity: 23 gal
Water Capacity: 70 gal (35 gal each tank)
LPG Tank Capacity: 10lb bottle
100% Sail Area (Square Feet): 644
Sail Area/Displacement Ratio: 21
Displacement/LWL Ratio: 165
Limit of Positive Stability: 124 degrees
Vento Solare Additional Features
More to come here later….